Friday, July 12, 2013

Wyoming - Day 5 - Jackson, Wyoming and Victor, Idaho





We woke up in Jackson and a seed I had planted at the beginning of the trip ended up taking root.

I had wanted to make a super quick stop in the state of Idaho, being that it was so close to Jackson and I had never been there.  As it turned out, neither had my father or brother.

At first, they both gave me some flack about it, driving 22 miles "just for a potato.  We can have potatoes here."

I, in turn, would try to use the short distance to my advantage.  "Powell is only 22 miles from Cody?  That's nothing!  It's like driving to Idaho!"

Thankfully, the idea took hold.  We didn't have many plans in Jackson and our planned breakfast location...



...was en route to Victor, Idaho.

So we were definitely going!

But first...


...let's talk about breakfast!


We got a great seat at the bar...


...felt like we were locals...


...and enjoyed some overflowing dishes (this is my father's breakfast).


I got the trout and eggs with hashbrowns and a blueberry pancake.

Delicious!

Now with full bellies...


 ...we continued heading west...


...onto the Grand Teton Mountain Pass with a fun 10% grade.


My father absolutely loved it.


In mere minutes, we entered the state of Idaho...


...and found ourselves before Victor's Pierre's Playhouse...

 

...the Emporium...


...where Rocky got a famous Huckleberry milkshake...

 
 

...and tourist-friendly Emporium signs.

And we almost left Victor with those sites alone...


...when my father saw the sign for Grumpy's Goat Shack.

I turned the car around because I knew he would love this place...


...a summer-esque shack with hanging bras and panties...

 

 ....pictures of fornicating goats...


 ...colorful shirts...


...and hot dogs.

It probably wasn't the best idea to eat hot dogs so soon after the breakfast at Nora's (and Rocky had that milkshake as well), but it was fun to sit there, talk with the owner and just hang out a bit.

After Grumpy's, we headed back to Jackson.

Dad went back to his room to rest a bit and Rocky and I went to souvenir shop.

I only took a few photos during the shopping...

 

Once the shopping was done, I texted my brother about grabbing a drink from the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar...



 ...but the one drink led on to others, especially once we started talking to a couple from Utah.

When we got off our saddles and started back into town, I decided to stop back at the room for a bit - Lord knows why.

I never made it back out of the room that evening.  I had simply had too much to drink.

My bad.

Special thanks to my dad and brother for the chips and sushi later that evening!

3 comments:

  1. Kristian, thank you for this great post and for taking the time to come visit Idaho. My friend Amir Eylon gave us the heads up that you were in the neighborhood. Do let us know if we can host you to some more Idaho fun and food. Not only do we like to entertain bloggers of your caliber and sense of adventure but the Potato Commission sometimes has foodie media tours as well. Maybe we can have you come be a judge for one of the Onion grilloffs this fall http://www.bigonions.com/usaoniongrilloff.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Karen! It was a lot of fun and I'd love to come back to Idaho to explore even more.

      The grilloffs sound great!

      Delete
  2. I have GOT to go to Grumpy's Goat Shack! Where else can you eat a hot dog (which looked pretty tasty) and enjoy such stunning décor?

    ReplyDelete