Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Italy 2014 - Part 2 - Statues




I love statues.


When I was in high school, I wrote a then-incredible 88 page story about statues that came to life at night, bringing to life all other statues they touched and posing a threat to human life.  I can't now remember why they came to life or why they posed a threat to people, but the entire idea fascinated me.


And, even though I would probably hate the story if I had the opportunity to read it now...


...I still think statues rock (Milano Centrale, Milan)...

 

...as roosters (Bologna)...


 ...devilish characters (Bologna)...

 

...gladiators (Abano Terme)...


...mythological creatures (Trento)...


...modern sculpture (Abano Terme)...


...lions (Caffe Pedrocchi, Padua)...


...and both ancient and reproduced Tit Fountains (kid you not - Treviso).


But a true statue-lover's paradise is here in Padua...




...where two rings of statues...


...made up of 78 statues...


...represent some of Padua's more important citizens.


And it's worth circling around twice to see them all!



No comments:

Post a Comment